 General / 47790
Re: Stunning new Maersk set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 22:16:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Brink wrote:
I don't think anyone here expects them for free, and you are *wrong* about Velux
selling the sets. They sell them on their web page:
http://www.velux.com/international/ under inspiration then velux gift shop, and
I'm sure they make money on them. Maybe the afol pestering did some good in this
case.

I am fully aware Velux sells them online, now.  But before they ever did (this
was many years ago), I was told by this Velux staffer here in Toronto that they
received literally a hundred calls about these little houses, first asking for
them for free (because they were originally a gift to Velux distributors) then
eventually asking to buy 10-20 of them in batches (people I guess loading up
their ebay stores or filling out their tract housing layouts).  Someone had
obviously heard of the set, called Velux Canada, found a kind soul there who
offered a free one or a very cheap one, and then posted on Lugnet or rtl (more
likely rtl, back then) that they should all call Velux for them.  Hilarity
ensued.  That kind soul lost their kindness VERY quickly.

Regardless of whether they make money or not on the individual set, having a
national marketing manager, receptionist etc dealing with a hundred calls about
little plastic houses is a waste of time and money.  For a company whose primary
business is selling skylights, an online store must only be run as a PR
function.

What would make me truly embarassed is that all these phone calls made them
spend money to put some web form online to sell them.  If they figured the tide
of random calls about this would never cease and the only way to quell the
insatiable demand for Velux houses from eating up employee productivity was to
set up an online gift shop (which is not free, cheap or inconsequential) then
that's really sad.

A couple of years ago, when New Kids on the Block were in Toronto, teenage girls called/visited thousands of times to every hotel in the city, jamming switchboards and hotel lobbies.   (Side note, they I think were staying in the Seahorse Motel, a horrifically low rent thing near the highway).  I'm embarassed about the Velux house thing the same way I would be a New Kids fan.  I think you could write if off as teenage fandom, but I don't think it's acceptable for ADULT fans of Lego.

AFOL pestering of ANY kind is embarassing to the community, especially to
outsiders.  Pestering Lego itself is bad too.

Anyway, I think the majority of the irritation stems from the fact that many of
the promo sets are among the best/better sets that have been released and we a)
can't get our hands on some of them at all, and b) can't get most for a
reasonable price.

But let me return to my original comment:  There is no god-given right to cool
sets.  If a private company chooses to design them and only distribute to select
people or customers, that's their choice.  I bet there are a thousand cool
models in some design lab or vault in Denmark.  Does this mean I should be
frustrated they're not available for public consumption?

Frustrated enough to demand the resignation of corporate officers? :)

There is a weird compulsion by AFOLs to "must-have" something.  It drives people
to be "X lineup complete" or to pay $2500 for some weirdo 1987 Classic Space
ship made of three other sets.    It's driven by some sort of perverted "love"
of the product.  AFOLs talk about being angry when Lego screws up as if they
were your wayward brother who got involved with drugs or criminals.

That's kinda nuts, in my view.  I used to be like that, it pained me to see
Juniorization and the like.  But you know?  It's a company which sells a
product.  A product we may like, but it's not worth getting riled up for.  There
are bigger problems in the world.

No one will die if they don't release the Maersk ship.  It's not like starving
children in war torn nations or international aide to earthquake zones.  None of
the vitriol used here about these sets or colour changes demands such an
disproportionate response.

I had a coworker who volunteered with Amnesty International.  She'd spend some
of her time at work printing out AI press releases and organizing protests
around our city.  I suspect I spend more time reading colour change rants than
she ever did posting calls to action on torture and human rights violations. :)

To complain to Lego is futile and counterproductive, to bug Maersk, Velux or
Kabaya is even worse, because it's adding extra grief to a third party who is
completely uninterested in the world of plastic blocks.

Calum