 General / 46896
Re: The AFOL mind
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:36:19 GMT

And I had the hardest time with my parents with this..they really didn’t understand what I was doing, until they asked me about the LEGO convention in DC last year and I replied that I was there. From that, I’ve earned a certain amount of respect.

Funny you should mention that. My parents completely ignore my lego life. If I’m talking to them on the phone I’ll bring up work, my wife, and ultimatly my latest lego endeavor. They always seem ackwardly silent at that point. But, to me, all those things go together. I don’t live in discreet segments of reality. Work, family, friends and lego all go together for me and shape who I am.

   I used to ponder it, but for me, this is another form of exploration and expression. Some people draw and sculpt and perform. I build. And what’s neat for me is that all the skills that I have learned and used has helped me in one way or another, so my building has become to a certain extent, the sum of all my parts.

Well said.

   I think that one of the most exciting things happening now is seeing the community growing and achieving to a point where we ARE being recognized. It’s certainly a dynamic and fun time to be here!

Yes its definitly fun seeing that growth and knowing we all contribute to it in a certain way.

   Lord, Felix, you trying to be the philosopher here:)?

Like I said, work and play go hand in hand for me. Probing the workings of the human mind can be done in the lab or on lugnet. Both are legitimate venues.

Felix