 General / 46822
Re: The AFOL mind
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 02:33:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Felix Greco wrote:
   I’ve found a conversation seems to come up a lot in reference to AFOLs. Are we a bunch of dorks? Is what we do just nerdy? I have had this conversation with AFOLs and nonAFOLs alike.

Funny you should mention that...I had a conversaton sorta like that at our post LUG dinner a couple of weeks ago.

   I think I’m a cool guy. I can relate to other guys- I workout, play guitar, scratch my head about female behavior, I work hard. Yet, the people I interact with in these other areas have said they just “don’t get” what I do with lego. They appreciate that I enjoy it, and usually get a laugh out of the stuff I make. These are the same people who kept telling me “Hey, they did a room in legos on While You Were Out!”- Yah, I KNOW... Jeeesh. But, I digress.

I have that same situation, except I don’t work out, play guitar and work hard:). What’s been funny to me is that this is another phase to my ‘geekness’...I’ve been up until recently, a computer geek, a Star Trek geek (Classic, thank you very much!), a gadget geek, and a science geek. Now I’m a LEGO geek...another feather in my geek cap:)

And I had the hardest time with my parents with this..they really didn’t understand what I was doing, until they asked me about the LEGO convention in DC last year and I replied that I was there. From that, I’ve earned a certain amount of respect.

My wife was over at Toys-r-Us and told me she saw a bunch of kids trading Yu-Gi-Oh cards. She said they fit every stereotype of a dork you could imagine. Knowing I was once one of those kids, she started asking me questions; Does the interest in those things make those kids that way? Or are those kids already that way, so they’re attracted to those things? You know- the old chicken or the egg question. I think the same arguments were had about violence in cartoons.

I think that’s a bunch of different factors that play in different ways. I was a comic book collector (yeah, a comic geek) and I was pretty much interested in the stories first, then the art, then it became a want to get everything...which is the perfect collector’s mentality. Card games have different things that make kids want to collect them, like making the perfect killer deck (yep I was a game geek. For a really short time:))

I don’t know what to think of it. It makes me happy, and thats all that matters. But I do ponder it. I think Eric Sophie put it best when we were driving down to Texas for the SciBrick Houston gala. He was sitting there thinking for a while and then he asked “Hey, do you think they’ll take us seriously down there? Or do you think they’ll just pass us off?” It became a legitimate concern for us because we were showing our stuff to a lot of VIP AFOLs and we were representing SciBrick for the first time. In the end, they seemed delighted with us and our display.

I used to ponder it, but for me, this is another form of exploration and expression. Some people draw and sculpt and perform. I build. And what’s neat for me is that all the skills that I have learned and used has helped me in one way or another, so my building has become to a certain extent, the sum of all my parts.

And the exploration happens in more than a few ways...exploring a form, looking into functionality, even trying to understand the hows and whys to the Sea Monkeys:)!

As for the Houston event, I wasn’t too concerned about us being taken seriously. They extended an invite, and that was a statement to me. And having our items get one of the higher prices and be the object of a price war on the silent auction was an endorsement to me.

   I think this argument is the basis of a lot of the motivation around here. I recognize it every time someone at lugnet says something like “Why doesn’t TLC take us more seriously?”. I recognize it when we get together for meetings and listen to stories about nonAFOLs and their reactions. I recognized it when news crews were out at Brickfest and we all cheered when we hit CNN.

I think that one of the most exciting things happening now is seeing the community growing and achieving to a point where we ARE being recognized. It’s certainly a dynamic and fun time to be here!

I have no point to make or anything. I have a lot of opinions, certainly. I’m very interested to hear what you all have to say about this.

Lord, Felix, you trying to be the philosopher here:)?

Joe, .Space paparazzi!

   Felix