 General / 46849
Re: The AFOL mind
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:48:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Felix Greco wrote:
   I’ve found a conversation seems to come up a lot in reference to AFOLs. Are we a bunch of dorks? Is what we do just nerdy?

Actually it mostly depends on the “description” of the words dork, geek, nerdy, etc, but I believe yes, in some variying degrees, yes we are. And I’m proud of being one.

To say the truth, there is no distinct lines of “being geek, dork and nerdy” in my country, as you have in US (geeks and freaks, Malcolm in The Middle, and every other flicks featuring school life gives me some idea) but in some ways, I was certainly different than other guys around,

I had extremely good grades, and was an extremely bad soccer player for example..:-) I was always bad in team sports.

I always love reading and learning new things, had experiment sets and Lego as toys, my highschool was a very special one (science highschool as we call it here), my nickname was “prof”, etc, etc... All the dorky stuff you can imagine.

But as I already mentioned it, there was no separation between me and the other “normal” guys. We were all playing together, doing things together. I never had any bullies or something that teasing me for what I’m. I was not even thinking that I’m different than others, or I was of another “class”

I have a pretty decent social life, too, during highschool and university years, (may be just because we were all geeks there.:-)), which includes many “not-so-nerdy” things.

I still have a good life, and still happy for doing things much different than what a common Joe does, and Lego is not the only one..:-).

I like being different, I like to amaze people saying things like I’m still playing with Lego. Call it whatever you want, you will make me proud..:-)

By the way, I’m reading the messages her for years (member#-4-), from the guys all around the world, and I even personally meet some of them (Hi Robin and Diane, Hakan Tandogan, Itlug People!..) and nobody struck me as being “anti-social” or something yet (though I can easily describe some of the guys here much more unpleasant words).

Anyway, that was my 0.2 Turkish Liras (really worthless.:-)

Selçuk