 General / 46829
Re: The AFOL mind
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 18:28:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Felix Greco wrote:
   I’ve found a conversation seems to come up a lot in reference to AFOLs. Are we a bunch of dorks? Is what we do just nerdy? I have had this conversation with AFOLs and nonAFOLs alike.

This is an interesting topic--I’ve also been talking about the hobby with a lot of non-AFOLs over the last few months. And the short answer is, yeah, it’s nerdy, much as any hobby that is predominantly male is considered nerdy. But that’s the short answer, I have a lot more to say on the subject (imagine that).

   I think I’m a cool guy. I can relate to other guys- I workout, play guitar, scratch my head about female behavior, I work hard. Yet, the people I interact with in these other areas have said they just “don’t get” what I do with lego. They appreciate that I enjoy it, and usually get a laugh out of the stuff I make. These are the same people who kept telling me “Hey, they did a room in legos on While You Were Out!”- Yah, I KNOW... Jeeesh. But, I digress.

Hopefully, everyone thinks of themselves as cool; otherwise, there’s probably a bit of a self-esteem issue going on. Now, whether other people consider you cool is another story altogether.

As for my experiences with being a non-closet AFOL...

During my college days, I had a large amount of LEGO strewn about my dorm room. My roommate didn’t mind, and neither did my friends; of course, LEGO in a dorm room probably isn’t too strange, unless you’re at a military academy or something. ;)

After college, I lived in a four-bedroom house with a roommate; one of the rooms was a dedicated LEGO room. During parties, when giving a tour of the house, it was a very straightforward “...and this is the LEGO room.” Usually that would lead to some good conversation; sometimes there would be a couple of guys (or even girls) that would stay in the room for a long time--even beyond the perfunctory examining of the MOCs I would show off during the tour. I simply presented it as a part of who I am...

At work, I always keep at least one MOC on my desk; I think that keeping it “out in the open” makes it less nerdy--some of my friends have a passing interest in things I’ve built, and pretty much everyone asks me “what have you built lately?” when they see me.

Now, does the fact that I happily participate in (and downright enjoy) traditional guy things--lifting weights, riding motorcycles, playing basketball, rock climbing, playing poker, etc--make my LEGO hobby more acceptable to my friends and co-workers? I think so. I’d wager that if I acted more like the stereotypical loner, dork, nerd, or whatever, then that’s how my co-workers would treat me. And I’m not saying that you can’t be yourself--if I wasn’t gregarious (okay, loud-mouthed is probably better), that would be fine, too, but I happen to be pretty social. I know a lot of AFOLs aren’t, which isn’t a bad thing; it just fits the stereotype...

Okay, now on to why I’ve been talking about LEGO with even more people recently. During the model builder search, I had a lot of local media exposure...the local news had me live in the studio and also did a piece at my house; both the daily and weekly local papers did stories; and, finally, the Vandenberg Air Force Base newspaper did a story on me. (For those who don’t know, I’m a captain in the Air Force.) This has caused random people to call my house to talk about LEGO, I have people stop me in the street or at the gym and say “hey, you’re that LEGO guy!”, and instead of just my co-workers talking to me about it, now everyone in my chain of command asks me about LEGO. My point? Not a single one of these people had a negative comment for me. And even if they didn’t understand why I was into it, they understood that I enjoyed it as a hobby, or even as art (though that sounds pretentious).

So basically, I think if you take it seriously as a hobby, other people will take your interest in it seriously as well. If you treat it as something to be ashamed of, others will treat it that way too.

Derek