 General / 46897
Re: The AFOL mind
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:53:36 GMT

During my college days, I had a large amount of LEGO strewn about my dorm room. My roommate didn’t mind, and neither did my friends; of course, LEGO in a dorm room probably isn’t too strange, unless you’re at a military academy or something. ;)

After college, I lived in a four-bedroom house with a roommate; one of the rooms was a dedicated LEGO room. During parties, when giving a tour of the house, it was a very straightforward “...and this is the LEGO room.” Usually that would lead to some good conversation; sometimes there would be a couple of guys (or even girls) that would stay in the room for a long time--even beyond the perfunctory examining of the MOCs I would show off during the tour. I simply presented it as a part of who I am...

I have the same experience. Now, when I have a party, I’ll have people who want to show it to their friends. “Hey Felix, my girlfriend hasn’t seen the lego room.” Then its always interesting to hear them relay my words. “Check this out, he made these sea creatures and even has a website.”

   Now, does the fact that I happily participate in (and downright enjoy) traditional guy things--lifting weights, riding motorcycles, playing basketball, rock climbing, playing poker, etc--make my LEGO hobby more acceptable to my friends and co-workers? I think so.

Funny you should mention that. I feel the same way. In one of my more- shall we say- intoxicated moments, someone said I got less points for being a man because I played with lego. I then challenged that guy to out bench me and he lost. For his sin and defeat he was ordered to buy a lego set and keep it on his desk. Jonny thunder now sits on his desk and collects dust. I’m going to have to take that off his hands one of these days.

In a related story, I have a friend who is a HUGE GB Packers fan. I think he is quite dorky with it. From the clothes to the christmas decorations everything is Green Bay and Favre. But, because we relate in other ways, its more acceptable to me. I can see that he’s just as ecclectic as me. So, I’ve used my opinion of him to gage how people view my lego interests.

   So basically, I think if you take it seriously as a hobby, other people will take your interest in it seriously as well. If you treat it as something to be ashamed of, others will treat it that way too.

Well said. Of course, you do launch rockets, don’t you? Thats the ultimate in testosterony. So I’m guessing you could wear a dress and have te parties and still be quite the man’s man. :)

Felix