 General / 44749
Re: MHoF : Harry Cane might be disqualified
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:17:14 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Terry Prosper wrote:
   In lugnet.adventurers, James Wilson wrote:
   Hey, nothing wrong with a little lobbying, is there? Electioneering is the American way. Personally, I like the good-spirited debates and taunting about which minifig should be put in that we’ve seen in the past (esp. between .Space and .Castle). But, only one vote per person.

The “american-way” isn’t MY way,
neither, apparently, is a sense of “humour” or fun. LEGO is a TOY (see below)

   as I’m neither American
id’ wager most LUGnet users are

   nor American-wannabe.
if you change your mind, be sure to come in illegally - you’ll get a green card faster... :-)

   There is, mind you, something wrong about electioneering. The MHoF voting process should be a choice based on more than a “I-Like-This-Theme” factor. Systematically voting for a theme even if there are some minifigs of greater MHoF potential in the ballot is not the idea I want to vehiculate.

You seem to confuse your MHoF “ballot” with a real election. This-is-a-TOY (to paraphrase Woody from ‘Toy Story’). People who read LUGNet are FANS of a toy. See pro sports (oh, sorry, American pro sports) “All Star” game voting as an example of what extent fans will go to.

So, here’s what you an do: post up an “acceptable use policy” for your precious Web site? Spell out exactly how you want it represented on LUGNet. Tell us what we can say about it and what we can’t. Then spend your every waking moment persecuting those who don’t do what you want.

Or, you could LIGHTEN UP a bit and remember we’re talking about a TOY and adults (mostly) who (probably) spend way too much of their disposable income on it.

James Wilson
Dallas, TX