 General / 43452
Re: Pick-a-brick Packing website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:22:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Julie Krenz wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jim Foulds wrote:
Can someone respond with the link to the website that gave the analysis of
how to pack the Pick-a-Brick containers?

I would really appreciate it.  I spent the better part of 2 hours searching
with no results :(

Thanks,
  Jim F.

I haven't seen a website on packing, but I do remember this post:

http://news.lugnet.com/loc/us/il/?n=309

I'll append that I also found I could squeeze in 137 2x4's (exactly the same
number Chris came out with-- I was thankful!) into a large cup, and (IIRC) 71
2x4's into a small cup (though I didn't try as many techniques with the small
one).

Someone in our group (Doug Eaton, IIRC) also posted that he was able to fit 292
black 1x4x2 fences into a large container, though my efforts only yielded around
260-something, plus some space that I *might* have been able to squeeze more
into (say, 280 total maybe) if I had some way of fitting in more bricks AFTER I
had already packed it :) (Curse you Doug Eaton! I'll beat your record yet!)

In general (as would be expected), the small pieces seem to fit pretty tightly
even without sneaky stacking. It's large pieces like 2x4's, 1x4's, trees,
2x10's, etc that really benefit from maximum sneaky-stacking.

Without stacking (just tossing pieces in) somewhere around 90-100 2x4's fit into
a large bin-- so you can fit roughly 150% that number by stacking carefully.

Although we didn't check thoroughly, it appeared that we could actually fit
FEWER flowers by stacking than by haphazardly dumping-- So I'd guess when your
pieces are small enough, the percentage gain by stacking goes down, and
potentially even gets to less than 100%, depending on your methods...

And (of course) if you're after big parts, try and fill up gaps with smaller
parts. For instance, the little "cup-moat" (the little crevasse ring that runs
around the bottom of the cup) won't fit 2x4 bricks in the large cup. But it WILL
fit 1x2's and other assorted small pieces. So when filling up a cup with 2x4's,
at least get your money's worth by filling the moat with smaller pieces.
(Note, the moat on a small cup *will* fit 2x4's, sorta)

If going for a mix of small and large pieces, (note this is theoretical, I
haven't verified, so I could be wrong) try and stack large bricks in the center,
and fill the outer ring with smaller pieces, since larger pieces leave larger
gaps when up against the outer edge of the cup-- this keeps the good
space-maximizing small pieces filling up the hard-to-deal-with curved edge.

DaveE