 General / 4066
Re: Added Latest Projects to Joe's Lego Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 23:01:36 GMT

Thanks John.  Sorry to say, but I don't work for Lego.  :-(    Though it would
be a neat job!

As for rallying the troops:  From most of the messages posted here and on RTL,
it looks as though most of the Lego fans are disappointed with almost all of
the new sets.  Some people are even criticizing the Star Wars sets, which in
my opinion are the best (pieces wise), that I've seen in years.  I guess this
happens when we (adults) buy toys designed for 6-12 year olds.  If a person
does not like a model, they should use their imagination and build something
to their liking.  Most of the kits I buy never get made into the model
intended; they get sorted into the great collective.

It would be nice if Lego came out with a line geared toward the adult.  But,
I'm sure the numbers would not justify the expense for them.  Though it is
hard not to say something when you see displays like the AT-AT and life-size
R2-D2; but can you imagine how much they would cost as a kit?

Here I go on a tangent...   I would be happy if they could bring back bulk
sales.  Even if they just stuck to the basic 1x and 2x bricks in the ~11
standard colors.  The parts packs from S@H are nice, but I would like to be
able to buy 5,000 2x4 yellow bricks (for example).

I think Lego would be better off getting rid of Town Jr.  That is what Duplo
is for.  Bring back Town with garage door segments, car doors and fender
pieces, planes with windows.....   Products for children should not be 'dumbed
down'.  Kids today need mental challenges more than ever.  Even if it means
making a car from 48 pieces instead of 16.

If Lego needs ideas:
Lego should produce limited edition town sets around the Christmas holidays to
get people collecting Town.  There are many ladies that collect the ceramic
buildings like the Charles Dickens line.  A town made out of Lego would be
much more interesting and attract a whole new segment of the population into
building with Lego.  These ladies would then go out and buy more Lego for
their children and grandchildren!

Sorry for the long reply, John.  I got on a roll there. :-o   Thanks again for
the nice response!

Build on,
Joe

John Matthews wrote:

Nice work, Joe!  You are certainly quite prolific!

Hey, you're one of those secret LEGO guys posing as an AFOL sent here to
rally the troops, right?  :)

John

Joe Davenport <jdavenport@mid-tech.com> wrote in message

Hi all,
I have added a page to my site showing some of the latest projects I
have
going.  I have included the current dimensions for the Large Loco there.

Thanks for stopping by!

http://userweb.springnet1.com/jdavenp/latest.html

Joe