 General / 4079
4078  |  4080
Subject:
US BULK SALES?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 13:16:27 GMT

Sanjay D'Souza wrote:

Joe Davenport wrote in message <37376550.D26E59CC@mid-tech.com>...
Here I go on a tangent...   I would be happy if they could bring back bulk
sales.

Did LEGO US ever have bulk sales?  Was it possible to buy any piece in
current production at the time?

With a market as big as the US I can imagine the difficulty LEGO US would
have had in servicing such a market.

Sanjay

The answer is yes TLG at one time did have bulk sales.  But the process was not
easy.
TLG discontinued it in the late 80's.

Here were a few details:

There was 100 pieces per type/color minimum order.  The price (regardless of
whatever piece you wanted) was a minimum of 10 cents (even 100 - 1x1 plates
were $10.00).  Then there was the labor intensive process where the person
taking your order had to decipher whatever pieces you requested - they had to
find the corresponding part number.  Then they had to determine if they had a
sufficient quantitiy of that part so that it wouldn't affect their replacement
inventory.  Then they would have to count out the parts manually, piece by
piece.  Then they would itemize your reqest.

However, if you happen to order during their peak periods
(fall/winter/spring?), you could not order during certain months when they were
real busy.  So your order could sit there for months.  And then, the mistake I
made... don't request anything real old, (such as classic windows & doors), or
in a color that hadn't been made in a long time (certain arch and steep slope
pieces).  Anyway it was real frustrating, and a labor intensive process that
was doomed to failure.

So they never reinstated it since the late 80's.  (I never did get a single
piece from the company, but that was partly my fault with being so frustrated
with their rules and processes).

Gary Istok