 General / 4100
Re: US BULK SALES?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 01:55:50 GMT

Maybe LEGO could sell bricks in lots of 100 only. That would simplify the
ordering a bit.

Sanjay D'Souza wrote:

Gary Istok wrote in message <37382DAB.9902B6BD@umich.edu>...
There was 100 pieces per type/color minimum order.  The price (regardless • of
whatever piece you wanted) was a minimum of 10 cents (even 100 - 1x1 plates
were $10.00).  Then there was the labor intensive process where the person
taking your order had to decipher whatever pieces you requested - they had • to
find the corresponding part number.

If this service were still available in the US I'd imagine that sending a
list of pieces with matching pic (from say the LCad database) would ensure
the process would be far simpler.  In addition the parts codes could also be
supplied as the codes for many common pieces are available on the net.   On
the other hand TLG are moving to 7 digit codes in response to the greater
number of parts being developed as a result of developments like SW.

Then they had to determine if they had a
sufficient quantitiy of that part so that it wouldn't affect their • replacement
inventory.  Then they would have to count out the parts manually, piece by
piece.  Then they would itemize your reqest.

My understanding is that for operations outside of the US, the pieces are
sourced from Denmark.  An operation say the size of New Zealand couldn't
possibly have in stock even a fraction of the inventory of Enfield.

However, if you happen to order during their peak periods
(fall/winter/spring?), you could not order during certain months when they • were
real busy.  So your order could sit there for months.  And then, the • mistake I
made... don't request anything real old, (such as classic windows & doors), • or
in a color that hadn't been made in a long time (certain arch and steep • slope
pieces).  Anyway it was real frustrating, and a labor intensive process • that
was doomed to failure.

I imagine that service was limited to pieces in current production which
makes sense.

So they never reinstated it since the late 80's.  (I never did get a single
piece from the company, but that was partly my fault with being so • frustrated
with their rules and processes).

An online parts ordering service may be the way to .  Choose the parts you
want and put them in your "online shopping basket" and then send your order
away.

But then again with TLG undertaking their "Fitness Program" to reduce costs
I doubt such an idea would be appealing to them at the moment.

Sanjay