 General / 40517
Re: Understanding Leaks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:30:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul S. D'Urbano writes:
Hi All,

How do I know a leak when I see one?

I have four examples below.  I mean no disregard to the authors of these
posts and assume none of them are actually leaks.  But as something of a
newbie it's not clear to me where the line falls between things like this
and actual leaks.

Example 1:  A prediction about 8460 becoming the classic 8431...
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=7594

Example 2:  Pictures of new 2003 sets...
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=1804

Example 3:  A fan from Japan sees an AT-AT at a LEGO show...
http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=14586

Example 4:  The Marz Distribution pictures that have recently been
widespread across LUGNET news...
http://news.lugnet.com/year/2003/?n=54

Can anyone better explain how to tell a leak when dealing with material that
doesn't come (or seem to come) directly from a TLC source.

Thanks,
Paul D.

Tough question.

A leak is an item of information that is NOT meant to be released. Most, if not
all of your examples that you cited were meant to be released to, at least
initially, to the dealers who sell LEGO. As such, I wouldn't list these as
leaks. These items came from publications from LEGO, or were created for a LEGO
show (item 3).

A true leak, then, would be the revealing of an item in its prototype stages.
Something that didn't come from a catalog or from an officially produced
publication. While the catalogs would not be a leak, dropping a complete kit
inventory, instuctions, and preliminary box art *before* it is shown by TLC in a
toy show or through a catalog definitely is.

Joe Meno