 General / 40542
Re: Understanding Leaks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:43:18 GMT

In article <H8EKx8.E9C@lugnet.com>,
"Paul S. D'Urbano" <durbano@optonline.net> wrote:

Another intersting thing about leaks, which again happens here in the US
often with our press and politicians, is that some leaks are intentional.  I
don't know if this would or could ever happen in the world of Toy companies,
but it's an interesting thought anyway (IMO).  There are many reasons why
TLC could have been harmed by Marz Distribution posting those pictures
early, since some of the sets may have been incomplete, the package pictures
were rough, TLC wasn't able to control the "first impression" they created
with those sets on their customers, and TLC's competitors could have gotten
an early hint of ways to steal TLC's thunder, even if only by a couple
months.  On the other hand, if the sets are incomplete, TLC has now gotten
some widespread customer feedback on the sets, without the cost and
difficulty of creating focus groups, that they can use to fine tune the sets
before the summer.  They have a hint now of what sets will be big with the
fans and what sets may be weak.  Maybe, for example, they'll fine tune the
MINI AT-AT since I noticed that get some criticism.  If you think about it,
first impressions with the die hards are really not that important.  We're
not going to walk away saying "bah, LEGO's got some duds, I'll spend my toy
dollars elsewhere."  We're going to buy in one way or another anyway.  It
might be worth it for them to blow their first impressions with us in
exchange for some useful feedback that they can use to polish things up
before they show their wares to some kids who might be just as happy to
spend their money on Yu-Gi-Oh cards.  Not trying to suggest a conspiracy
here.  Just some thoughts.

I think this is an interesting point, and it wouldn't surprise me if
there were some truth to this idea. TLC knows that Lugnetters, by
nature, will (1) seek out any info they can find on upcoming sets, and
(2) thoroughly, mercilessly criticize them, sometimes describing in
agonizing detail what may be wrong with them (see the thread on
lugnet.technic about the green fire truck for an example of that). I
wouldn't blame them for trying to tap us as an inexpensive focus group.

However, if they really are using us to avoid paying for a focus group,
the least they owe us is to let us do it knowingly. We're already doing
the work, after all; we devote large amounts of our time and money to
this hobby. Just be open with us about picking our brains.

--
Mark D. McKean - The Quantum Panda - qpanda@quantumpanda.com