 General / 36961
Re: Lego and Disney, a continued future?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 21:33:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Thuma writes:
Deidre posted to Duplo an interesting observation about Lego and Disney I am
certain a lot of people missed and failed to pick up on.

http://news.lugnet.com/duplo/?n=530

I was wondering about that myself.

First, make some sculptures out of Disney Characters. I know this might be a
tough battle with the Disny folks, but there are enourmous collectors of Disney
stuff that wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Lego Scuplture in the shape of a
Mickey, Minnie, or Donald Duck. Lego says that want to bring people to Lego
that haven't been there before and trust me this will do it. It will also be
successful globally.

This, I would think, would be a pretty easy sell, especially at the Imagination
Centers at the Downtown Disneys in California and Florida. Although there might
be a question of sizes: An Ultimate Donald for $150 would be a questionable
buy, but a minisculpture for about $20 would be ideal.

Second, what about a town system around the Disney parks? There has got to be
dozens and dozens of structures and themes that can be utilized to develop
Disney themed Lego Town sets. Imagine a technic Epcot Sphere and basic brick
sets for the different International areas of Epcot. The science and
technology area would provide a great opportunity for a DACTA tie in that
already exists at Epcot.

You would think...

As for the Disney World or Disney Land, you have the train that encircles both
parks that could be modeled as a set. The western, future, past, etc. areas are
perfect for expanding upon the themes that have already been done in some form.
Even the monorail could be modeled to develop a new monorail set using a new
track and motor (one that could be developed for years to come). I think you
might even be able to use one of the Technic or Mindstorms motors with an
adapted train track (move the two rails close together). The train wheels could
be used just narrowed or singled up on a center mount or possible faced two
wheels onto one that would ride in the center of the narrowed train rails. In
the end you would be using the same components as the train system. (You might
even bring back the center rail from the old 12 volt series to work somehow on
this new monorail) All of these, of course, are simple ideas offered freely in
the hopes that something can be made of it.

Many moons ago, there  was a set that was sold by Sears...not Lego, but a
knockoff. you  can findit on ebay once in a while.

Third, Tinker Bell's Castle! Where are the marketing people? Has this idea been
so obvious its been missed, or is Disney so protective of thier symbol that it
can't be modeled. Believe me, a tastefully done set with a Disney group of
charaters would sell like hot cakes.

Um, unfortunately, yes. Either that or the retail price would be really high.

Fourth, Studios Sets and Disney/MGM Studio Park, I see the connection! You
could have a Jim Henson Muppet set and a Star Wars Movie Making Set. I really
don't see a problem here.

Me neither. I like those ideas...especially the Star Wars Studio

Fifth, the expansion of Disney with parks in Japan and France, and possibly
elsewhere, there seems to me to be a natural connection between Lego/Disney
Park sets and International distribution. I realize Lego has few sets that are
available in only one continent any more, so it seems like any set that can
reproduce common elements of Disney Parks would make for great town sets.

The Japanese parks do have building blocks (Lego knockoffs), and I have a few
of the sets(5 from Tokyo Disneyland, and 3 from DisneySea, looking for the
Tokyo Disneyland version of Cinderella Castle-went for over $40 on ebay a year
or so ago). They are pricey, but cute. And the Mickey and Donald that are in
these sets are true minifig size...sorta:)

Anyway, that's my ideas. I'd better get back to work now.

Good ideas.

I think that things cooled down between Disney and Lego. Sales weren't as big
as they could have been (HIGH prices will slow down a product), so things sorta
stopped.

Todd