 General / 34338
  my biggest beef with the new product is...

all those curved parts found on jack stone, racers, alpha team: mission deap sea, new starwars etc. They look really crap IMHO and I will most likely NOT be getting most of the new sets with the curved pieces. If the sets were the same but with (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) I think this is a sensible attitude. If you don't like some particular sets or parts, simply don't buy them! It's as simple as that. (...) I'd like to see the car you can build without round wheels! Fredrik (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) YUP...That is the best plan. Jack Stone sets are for 4 year-old and younger children--you should not want them anyway so please stop ranting about Jack Stone. Racers are also not intended for someone your age, Johnathan and I don't blame you (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

Fredrik, Kevin: To be fair, I think what Jonathan alludes to is the infiltration of elements from the Jack Stoned, Bionickle, LOM, and other non-traditional element lines into the regular system themed lines like Star Wars and Alpha Team. The sets (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) When did this become a bad thing? I thought that taking parts out of their natural context and using them in new ways was a sign of creativity. Take the showels on the front of the UCS Tie Fighter, for example. I think it is a brilliant idea (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) I just wanted to make one more comment about this issue. From time to time, I buy some SYSTEM sets myself for the parts included. But I'm reluctant to buy them because I get these heaps of minifigs included that I have no use for. They fill up (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message news:qrdd71s8tke.fsf....uio.no... /snipped some good stuff (...) Agree, I still remember the feeling when the new minifig was introduced, and not to forget the Technic sets. (almost (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) If I may add to Richard's sentiment, I think the problem is that TLC often includes a juniorized shortcut part instead of a series of more broadly useful parts, and the apparent intent is to reduce production costs (NOT retail price) at the (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  (canceled)

  (canceled)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) Now *this* is the part I can't seem to get. Say you have 3 elements, and you want to reduce costs, so you create a new, juniorized piece that combines all three. Now say each of these bricks costs you .02 to produce. And then the new element (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) And I agree with Richard. There's no impenetrable barrier between SYSTEM and Stone, of course, but the migration of big, single-use parts from the admittedly outcome-play-oriented Stone into the nominally construction-play-oriented SYSTEM is (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

In lugnet.general, Kevin Salm writes: <snip> I spend a few thousand dollars a month (...) <blink> Wow, heavy hitter, Kev! :-) -John (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) Ok, how about these: (URL) curved track 9v straight track 9v points 9v crossing 12v points 12v crossing 12v conductor rails How many things can you build out of them? (note that I left out the 4.5v/12v straight rail since I have seen some good (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) **snip of some modular but essential train elements** (...) True, but since LEGO Trains have mostly been niche market (that is, they've never had as widespread a retail presence as SYSTEM (though Train is of course the best longitudinal (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) And the tail wags the dog-- they create the juniorized parts to save money, and then feel obligated to *use* them ubiquitiously to get their back their investment, and suddenly the parts are dictating set designs, not the designers. -John (23 years ago, 6-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) [...breaking back into the thread where I think my dot will look the prettiest!] I just want to give one example of the kinds of elements I was referring to: reference the big picture of LOM set #7317 and take a gander at those purple (single (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) Yes, when it comes to Lego, I am a greedy S.O.B. And truly, it is not much of an exaggeration. My Shop@Home orders are coded with the text "High Risk Customer" Dunno what that means, but it must have to do with size of the orders. This leaves (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: my biggest beef with the new product is...

(...) Do you have homeowner's or renter's insurance? You might have to get a rider, or maybe your policy will cover them already. If you have a lot of collectible LEGO (as opposed to current models that can be replaced) then you may need to get an (...) (23 years ago, 8-Dec-01, to lugnet.general)