 General / 3404
Re: Absence.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:16:58 GMT

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:23:32 GMT, Fredrik Glöckner uttered the following
profundities...
I got a mail from a person saying that you could indeed get LEGO in
Thailand, but only in the very large malls and at very steep prices.  So
I'm probably better off buying them back home.

I know of a shop that did, but prices are unknown, it was my dark ages...
more details further below.
Out of curiosity, where/what will you be going/doing there?

Going in a week's time and spending three weeks.  This will be in the
hot season, so I'm a bit anxious about the heat.

I've only been in October, so don't know how bad it would be.
Amazing country. Go to Patpong night market

I've been thinking about it, but my girlfriend is a bit anxious because
of the sex industry, which is supposed to be abundant in the Patpong
district.  Is this a problem when browsing the night market?

Yes, Patpong is the heart of the seediness. You might have problems though.
You will be asked to go inside to the clubs. You will have cards thrust
at you showing what is on offer in the shows. Even if you were curious,
the usual advice is to not go in at all. But, some of the better, higher
ticket items are available there. If you were after fake YSL, Chanel,
etc. silk scarves, there is a good selection, though prices are a little
higher.

We will not be spending much time in Bangkok.  Just one night in Khao
San Rd for a start and then head down to Surat Thani/Ko Pha-Ngan or
Krabi/Rai Lei.  Or both.  Perhaps we'll make a stop in Hua Hin as well,
or perhaps Ko Lanta and Sukhotai?  But we'll probably stay in Thailand
for the whole vacation.  I reckon there is enough to see in this country
for three weeks.  Or three months?

A shame. Though you don't need more than 3 days in Bangkok. Wat Po (temple
of the Reclining Buddha) is quite a sight, especially if many Buddhists
are visiting. Wat Arun, the Palace, also must-sees. A lot of the guest
houses on Khao San Road are very grungy. I last stayed at Sawasdee House,
which is just off of KSR. Very clean, excellent food, very cheap. I am
quite sure it would appear in the more recent versions of Lonely Planet.
I used to have a card and phone number, can't find it. But, on the end
of KSR with the police station, turn right, then 1st left, there it is.
KSR has good shopping, too. Though not much of the more expensive items.
There is a department store nearby, that did have Lego (but I was in DA
at the time). That is on the other end of the road, turn left. Someone
there is bound to know how to get there! Also, follow any other back
packers, and take the bus to KSR, as it is 100th the price of the taxi!

I have been to Phuket, Ko Samui, Ko Pi Pi, Chiang Mai and the north,
(including hill trekking), Ko Samet, and a few other places, but not
those you mentioned!

From all that I had wanted to see, but didn't, reckon perhaps a month
if you were to rush from place to place. 3 months would be ideal, especially
if you R&R'd on various islands a week at a time.

It's probably not like the Shetlands, where we grew bored after only one
week.

Haven't been, wouldn't know.
¹ Check out the first lines!

????
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/