 General / 32232
Re: Lego for Africa
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:36:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joris Komen writes:
Hi!

SchoolNet Namibia  (www.schoolnet.na)  is actively involved in rolling out
Information and Communication Technologies to disadvantaged schools on a
national basis,  offering various low cost solutions to allow youth empowerment
through internet. • snip
- while there are probably several
metric tons of unused lego in every 10 square kilometres of first world urban
basements and attics, there are virtually NO lego building blocks in ANY
developing country school!

I strongly believe that building blocks like Lego play a crucial role in helping
children to think laterally, and allow for greater multi-dimensional thinking • snip
Why am I writing to you?   You take lego for granted.   Lego blocks, like
computers, are verrrrry expensive, and are therefore outside the reach of most
developing country people who, on average  per capita, earn less than one US
Dollar per day!  I would dearly like to see the reaction of this readership to
this letter in activating them to initiate a second-hand lego collection
programme at schools in first world countries for distribution to developing
countries.  The NGO's who presently ship computers to us, use BUBBLE-PLASTIC to
pack these boxes -  I believe that we can kill two birds with one stone, if they
start using Lego blocks as packing material instead -  we don't need first-world
bubble-plastic to mess up our local environment anyway.  Let's rather use Lego,

Hi,

I think this is a great idea, and I agree that Lego play does help to
develop 3-d thinking, and I am even willing to donate some of my old Lego
Bricks.
I do have one problem with this tho, you mention packing old computers with
Lego as the filler, and that may not be a very good idea.  The Motherboard
boxes should survive pretty decently without too much damage, but if you
pack a monitor with Lego Bricks don't expect the monitor to make the trip in
one piece.  Lego settles in fairly dense way, and doesn't have much 'give'
en masse.  Any box impacts will transfer right through the Lego Bricks and
that will break monitors with ease.

Also, is there a plan to teach at least the basics of Lego play?  Don't
forget that we all get instructions with every Lego set, and it seems
obvious to us how Lego works, but to some who may have never seen a Lego
Brick, they may be unfathomable (at least for a little while, and that may
keep many from exploring them further).

just some thoughts.  good luck with this!

cheers!
Joel K