 General / 32187
Re: Lego for Africa
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:47:12 GMT

"Joris" <joris@schoolnet.na> wrote in message news:GHEEIE.IGo@lugnet.com...

We do not want new Lego -  we want any old lego blocks which are currently
gathering dust  from some 40 years' worth of generational fun and games in • first
world attics and basements!  Can you help ??

Wow cool....this sounds like a neat opportunity :-)

Joris - I really enjoyed reading your message and think that you have a great
idea and goal for your country's schools and for other developing countries'
schools.  The people of LUGNET might be able to help, but I would imagine you
could find people more willing to let go of their LEGO elsewhere ;-)

We're adult fans of LEGO here, and usually because of our hobby selfishly hoard
LEGO (I'll call it what it is, I won't sugar coat it with some materialistic
excuse).  It might be easier to find non adult LEGO fans and ask for a donation
from them - because that is where the LEGO truly just sits around not being used
at all.  I'm sure you'll get a handful of Lugnetters to donate LEGO as well.
This is just my input here.

Have you tried other medium or does anyone else have ideas how she can reach a
wide slice of the developed public to get LEGO donations?

Please respond to this email if you have any ideas which will help expedite • this
programme.

Best of luck on your project!  I especially like your idea of using LEGO for
packing materials for donated computer equipment!! (though you might still need
tissue paper becaues of those sharp edges effecting things like monitors or
sensitive stuff like cables, mice, etc)

-Tim