 General / 32203
Re: 30 posts away? [[Freedoms]]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 22:53:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Here's a question though... does rtlToronto as a group feel that way? How do
you know one way or the other? This gets to the heart of how does an

We don't.  In fact, rtlToronto proper is really just Chris and I making some
very high level decisions, based on what people tell us, usually at dinners
and events.  Inevitably that power is vested in us because a) we've taken
the initiative and b) we sign the checks and the forms.  I'll say the same
about Richard and Brickwars:  He's taken the initiative to get it rolling
and he'll be the one taking responsibility for it.  I won't tell him what to do.

rtlToronto is not a democracy or a real formal organization.  It is two guys
running events, to the best they can.  As Dave Koudys once put it, "You guys
set the event up, and if we don't like it, we won't come out".  This means
that while it is not a true club where people vote on issues and make up
rules, we have fast execution and turnaround.  While most groups (Lego or
other wise) might spend weeks debating where and when to hold an event,
we've (Chris and I) probably already booked it and already promoted it.  We
don't vote, we don't have "positions".  It just happens.  Small groups do
not need heavy bureaucracy.  It stifles them.

I was a little shocked to see NELUG with hundreds of messages debating
whether or not Shiri Dori should be invited to a meeting.  We don't do that
stuff up here.  We have hundreds of messages deciding whether two RCXes are
allowed :)

Having said that, I will try my level best to keep idle chitchat to a
minimum in rtlToronto's group, because you asked.

I do appreciate your gesture.  Thank you.

Calum