 General / 32181
Re: 30 posts away? [[Freedoms]]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:40:02 GMT

You don’t want Larry to post in LUGNET.ORG.rtlToronto… to bad!
                      Can you say ‘OPEN FORUM!’   ;)
               http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/michlug/?n=1787

There is nothing I can do about Larry posting, as while rtlToronto the
organization is not an open forum for many issues, the rtlToronto NG is
configured as an open forum  per the Lugnet TOS.  As I have debated with
him, I do not believe external groups or individuals really should have any
place in the organization of rtlToronto, unless they are directly
participating in a joint event (ie, MonLUG, ParLUGment).  But Todd has given
the privilege to post into any group, and I just trust people will mind
their own business and post appropriately.  I guess Larry and I differ.

As I've said, that appropriateness  is not a viewpoint I share with you. I
think there IS value in the free flow of ideas and discussion, in both
directions. But if rtlToronto as a group feels that non club members
shouldn't post in the newsgroup, there are two choices I can see...

1) Don't use the newsgroup. Use a different venue instead. They exist.
Groups use them all the time for all sorts of things.
2) lobby to get the rules and or charter changed so that *by definition* any
non club member posting is an off topic post. I have read the newsgroup
charter and I suspect almost noone would say that the current charter admits
of that interpretation.

Here's a question though... does rtlToronto as a group feel that way? How do
you know one way or the other? This gets to the heart of how does an
informally structured group make decisions, even decisions that might feel
like small ones or trivial ones to some people. I find that a fascinating
question and one that many groups struggle with. I know MichLUG does, I know
GMLTC does, I know ILTCO does, I know GoB does, just to name a few (Some
more than others, of course). if you come to some great answers, sharing
those with other groups would be a great boon.

Please note very very carefully. I have given my interpretation of some
things. That does NOT make me an administrator. Far from it. It does NOT
mean I am "telling you what to do". Those are both charges you lodged and
both are false. Very false. All I am doing is saying how I (and I suspect,
but cannot be sure) others see things about how this site is constituted.

Having said that, I will try my level best to keep idle chitchat to a
minimum in rtlToronto's group, because you asked. MichLUG has a much more
informal style, but like Eric K points out, that means you have quite a bit
more chaff to wade through to find the wheat. I personally prefer pith, or
so I think. (but of course when I'm the one being funny, it's OK... double
standard, unfair and I ought to do better at that)

++Lar