 General / 31177
Re: MOC Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ny.bin, lugnet.technic, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:26:00 GMT

in article GF8Hxr.8sK@lugnet.com, Kenneth A. Drumm Ph.D. at
arcanamachi@netzero.net wrote on 6/20/01 11:05 AM:

  It was My Comet Cursor. I don't know what a browser plugin is. All I do
know is it installed without even a notice.

Comet Cursor is a notorious bit of spy ware. Basicly the company that made
it keeps track of the sort of ad banners and web sites you click to, or
something like that.

I strongly suggest you go to LavaSoft's web page and download Ad-Aware, it
is an application that will scan your computer for spy-ware, notify you
about it, and give you the option of removing and deleting the offending
wares.

Here is the link for LavaSoft:

http://www.lavasoftUSA.com/

This one won't install anything you don't tell it to, promise.

BTW, browse their FAQ before removing things so you know what sort of effect
it could have on your software. Some programs like CuteFTP in free mode will
no longer run if you delete it's ad/spy-ware portion. However, if you
register it, you can delete the ad-ware portion without any problems. Comet
Cursor should be safe to delete though. It doesn't really tie into any real
functionality.

This is one of the reasons I went back to surfing the web with a Mac.
Sometimes having a small market share is a good thing.

If you feel spy-ware is nasty and own a Tivo, you don't want to know what
the makers of Tivo have been up to.

Rob