 General / 31168
Re: MOC Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ny.bin, lugnet.technic, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 05:16:31 GMT

A Plug-in is a small program that attaches itself to your internet browser
program in order to view certain on-line content.  Shockwave and Realplayer are
two you may be more familiar with.  I've never had a plug-in install without
asking, but I use Netscape.  Every time I've ever gone to a comet
cursor-enabled page on a browser that didn't have it installed I got a
little pop-up window asking me if I wanted the plug-in.  Maybe MSIE has a
setting that tells them to install automatically.  If that's the case, your
beef is with Microsoft, not the webpage owner.

Anyway, the comet cursor plug in changes the way the mouse cursor looks while
you are on webpages that make use of it.  If you leave the webpage or even
switch to a different program it goes back to normal.  It's quite harmless, I
use it on several of my own websites.  The thing in the system tray (where the
clock is) can be told to go away and not come back if you right-click it and go
into its preferences.

Why it installed to 15 computers by viewing the webpage from one of them is
beyond me.  Even so, I think you were a little harsh before.  All those CAPS
and a threat of reporting his site?  I hope he didn't remove entirely them just
because of you.

If anybody's curious, it comes from here:
http://cometzone.cometsystems.com/

In lugnet.general, Kenneth A. Drumm, Ph.D. writes:
   It was My Comet Cursor. I don't know what a browser plugin is. All I do
know is it installed without even a notice. I realized it after our cursor
changed and I saw a new thing next to the time on the computer. I was under
the impression ALL software had to ask first. I could be wrong. Ken's the
computer person not me, and he's still in a semi-unconscious state in the
hospital.