 General / 31036
Re: Review 1371 Spinosaurus Attack Studio (was Re: 1370 Raptor Rumble Studio: thoughts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:52:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Skipper wrote:

I just picked up the 1370 and 1371 at my local TRU in Charlotte NC.
The 1371 is a nice set, it has traditional construction ( thye plane is very
similar to the one from Outback airstrip) and the tree uses brown elements
along with a girder ( which is the display stand ffrom the latest TIE
fighter model) for added strength. The Dino is nice and poseable and is all
new unique elements from the body to the head to the feet ( red aligators
head for the tongue....yeah!) Nice set and lots of useable pieces. I thought
it was totally worth the $35 I paid for it.

Based on seeing this, I took a visit to the Cary NC TRU and picked up
this set. I have some more comments:

First, the plane is not really like the Outback Airstrip one, but has a
VERY important feature - trans light blue glass for the airplane
windows! It also has a white 4x4 hinged dual slope. The plane is pretty
nice if a little stubby.

The tree is nice, built as a studio set, which is why it has the 2x2x10
triangular lattice tower. It uses 5 brown inverse arches, and 3 - yes
THREE BROWN 1x4 BRICKS! Yes folks, the quest for the brown 1x4 brick is
finally over!!! Hopefully we will see these in a bulk pack soon!
Unfortunately it does use 4 brown 2x2x3 bricks, but it also uses a bunch
of 2x2 and 2x4 bricks. The tree is topped with a little platform with a
1x2 plate with rod hooking up, which mates nicely with a 2x3 plate with
rounded end and hole on the airplane to allow the airplane to hang
nicely in the tree.

The spinosaurus has a neat feature that none of the other new dinosaurs
have. The slopes which fit on top between the two body halves are
printed! This really improves the look of the spinosaurus.

Another nice "bonus" (it's used in an alternate model) is a trans light
blue 2x4x2 _inverse_ windscreen. I'm not sure the last time we saw this
part, and I'm not sure it's ever been in trans light blue but it's a
very welcome piece.

What I didn't like about the set was the price. At $34.99 for 178
pieces, it's awfully pricey. At least 1370 is $19.99 for 158 pieces
which is a little better price.

All I can say is I can't wait for K-Mart to have these during a BOGO 50%
sale. Then it will be an ok buy.

Frank

Slightly off topic, but I noticed last week that me local Wal*mart had all
of the studios sets on sale (boy I'm glad I'm not into duplo eather, there
was one set, on sale...), I'm hopeing they'll soon have new sets, I havn't
seen any since the bionicle sets, before that sets in January.  I'm hoping
the Dinos & 1371 & 1370 will be there.
Josh

Oh, and helicopter from the Alpha Team line... we only have the two smallest
sets...