 General / 3082
3081  |  3083
Subject:
How many Technic people? (Was Re: Lego Supercar II?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:44:47 GMT

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:07:10 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:

Jim Wissner wrote:

Just out of curiousity, what approximately is the breakdown between "technic"
and "non-technic" AFsOL?  I seem to notice there are fewer that are heavily
into technic than not..  But I have no idea..  Does anyone have a better sense?
50/50?  75/25?  60/40?

Good question. Myself, I see Technic models as "unfinished". I do
collect some anyway. I use Technic parts as a way to mechanize things or
bring them to life, or for certain constructions that can't be achieved
without them (my drop center, for instance).

I'd put it at 2/3 of AFoL not really into Technic but I am guessing.

I started my collection of LEGO a few years ago with the Technic Sky Ranger.  I
thought it looked cool and since I never had LEGO as a kid, and I was single,
fresh out of college, with a new job and a feeling of freedom to do what I
wanted, even though I wasn't sure at the time about playing with a "kids" toy.
I liked the Sky Ranger, and bought an occasional set over the next couple
years, including the Air Tech Claw Rig.  When I found rec.toys.lego I discovered
a world of adults playing with LEGO that I never imagined.  It was shortly
after this that I decided I liked the town system and jumped in with both feet
(and my wallet) and before long I was knee deep in LEGO.  Around this time I
was realizing that Technic no longer "did it" for me and I held my first parts
auction comprised of a couple dozen Technic sets.  This completely cleared out
my Technic holdings.  As time went on and I collected more and more LEGO, I've
slowly built a fair sized container of Technic and no longer look to get rid
of it.  Like Larry, I think it will be useful for mechanizing things.  I am
still in more of an aquisition phase than a building phase right now, mainly
because my two children are only 2 and 3 years old.  When they are a little
older I expect to move into my building phase.  I have begun to realize too
that I am shifting away from set collection, and towards part collection.  I
am becoming more interested in large scale designs (inspired by things seen
at Gary Istok's pages), and less in town layouts.  I do expect to get into
trains at some point though (I have the full 9V line in a big box in the
attic), so I won't completely move away from it.  Anyway, this rambling was
to point out that I've evolved from Technic, through System towards parts
oriented building.

Rob

|  Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com             |
http://www.farver.com/lego/              |