 General / 3080
Re: Lego Supercar II?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:27:30 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

Myself, I see Technic models as "unfinished".

I take it this is because they usually do not have a solid body, but
rather just some beams to outline it?

I have tried myself to make some large Technic vehicles in roughly the
same scale as the Supercars.  The problem with "finishing" them is that
they get far too heavy.  The solid body takes far too many parts to
make, IMO.  If the Technic Supercars had a proper body, they would
probably have roughly 3 times more parts and would need more shock
absorbers to carry the weigth.

I'd put it at 2/3 of AFoL not really into Technic but I am guessing.

The number may even be larger.  I think it looks like there is a large
group of people who seem to be mainly into LEGO System.

The part IV of the Fibblesnork survey covers this, BTW:

    http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/survey/

I can't provide a direct link due to the FRAME-format¹, but I can quote
the results on the Technic sets:

    147. How do you feel about Technic sets? (1140 responses)

        17%  I live for Technic!
        12%  I try to get as many as I can.
        34%  I own a few.
        19%  They look cool, but I don't own any.
        10%  Why do they even bother?
         7% (no opinion)

This may be slightly biased since the Fibblesnork guide isn't Technic
related at all.

Sometimes I feel that the amount of Technic related web pages and
discussions on the newsgroups is too small.  But then again, it just
makes me part of a smaller, less common group, I suppose.  :-)

Fredrik
__
¹) Don't use frames, kids.