 General / 29112
Re: Lieutenant (was Re: Who is near Redmond?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:18:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Felipe Coury writes:
Mark,

~1st Lieutenant, Fleebnork Division Muffin Head
I have a modest english understanding but never figured out where the
Lieutenant word came from. It doesn't looks like an english word, is that
so?

I'm not Mark, but I'll still answer the question.

It's from middle french, dating to around the 14th century.

And more: what is the current army hierarchy from soldier to ...?

Well, his old rank, Grand Admiral, would've been Navy.  However, the US Navy
doesn't have a rank of 1st Lieutenant, so I guess whatever military Muffin
Head is a member of is an amalgam of rank structure.  There's lots of nifty
rank information at this site:

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/

Adrian
--