 General / 24678
Re: Lego To Close Molding, Processing at Enfield, CT plant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:23:18 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Christopher Masi writes:
I am unclear about what parts of the Enfield plant are closing. Obviously, the
molding facility is closing, but what do they mean by the processing (
http://www.newsday.com/ap/business/ap660.htm ). It was a long time ago (1987)
but there were more than 100 people working in the factory, so if they were
closing the entire, excluding the distribution center, facility I would have
expected that more people would be effected. I hope they are not closing the
whole plant. That would be sad.

Chris

Enfield's WAY too big to shut down the whole works on something like this.
All of their Americas marketing is done out of there, distribution, etc.
There's a HUGE shows & events department there - probably 30,000+ sq ft of
workspace and warehouse - commonly known as the 'model shop.'  That and the
distribution center are all I've really seen, the former a few months ago
and the latter a few years ago.  No doubt there are more office buildings in
the area - the campus is quite large as its been described to me.  I believe
this is just the factory that is being referred to.  And I hope that its
temporary...and will return when their profits do.

-Tim