 General / 24533
24532  |  24534
Subject:
inaccurate stories told by LEGO (was:Re: LEGO.COM/mars now running!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:10:56 GMT

Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: G4FG92.ABu@lugnet.com...

http://www.lego.com/mars/

I know this is supposed to be fiction, but I think the folks who write this
should do a little more research before posting stories like this for worldwide
consumption.  The story talks about looking out of a porthole and seeing
millions of stars and planets...not likely.  From what I understand, you would
see mostly blackness...certainly not millions of stars.  The story goes on to
state that the stars really do twinkle...do they?  I thought that was caused by
our atmosphere.  I know the point of these stories is supposed to be to
generate excitement about a product and it is written for kids, but I wish TLC
took a little more responsibility with factual information (especially
since it is seen as a company that produces a pseudo-educational toy)...you can
write something exciting that is plausible too!

This is exactly what I thought when I read the last issue of the German Lego magazine and the 2000 catalog: LEGO announced a dino
building competition and gave two modelled animals as example, a pteranodon and a dimetrodon, both of which are no dinosaurs at all.
Similarily, there was an Arctic story where the researchers described scorpions and spiders as insects, which they are not.

I also feel that LEGO does not care at all about accurate information and actual facts when they write their stories..... it's not
that difficult to write something that makes sense and corresponds to facts. I don't want to count their grammatical errors, either.
Please, a little bit more diligence, LEGO!