 Year / 2001 / 283
Re: LEGO.COM/mars now running!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:26:32 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Matthew Miller writes:
Kevin Wilson <kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com> wrote:
Since the whole thing is called "*LIFE* on Mars" and there are cute little
blue aliens running around, I suppose it doesn't matter that none of the
rest of it is accurate either.

I disagree. The best sci-fi/fantasy takes a few premises different from what
we know, but keeps the rest as accurate, self-consistent, etc., as possible.
While I know Lego's not exactly aspiring for that level of writing, it
wouldn't kill them to do a little fact-checking on a third-grade level or
so.

I have to agree with you, Matthew. Good science fiction (and even good
fantasy, for that matter) may change a few premises, but it's internally
consistent. Unless we're assuming aether, there isn't anything to make stars
twinkle... Nothing clued the reader in to that assumption. Hence this isn't
SF, it's bad fantasy, or else just sloppy. And hence deficient, either way.

Nik and I spent a few minutes on the site and we found error after error.
Many of them were ones he spotted first. Since he's 8, I have to wonder what
TLC is thinking.