 Year / 2001 / 285
Re: LEGO.COM/mars now running!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:10:23 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote in message ...
Kevin Wilson <kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com> wrote:
Since the whole thing is called "*LIFE* on Mars" and there are cute little
blue aliens running around, I suppose it doesn't matter that none of the
rest of it is accurate either.

I disagree. The best sci-fi/fantasy takes a few premises different from • what
we know, but keeps the rest as accurate, self-consistent, etc., as
possible.

True, but normally sci-fi (as opposed to fantasy) takes its different
premises from things where we are not sure yet, not things we already know
are untrue (e.g. blue aliens on Mars).

While I know Lego's not exactly aspiring for that level of writing, it
wouldn't kill them to do a little fact-checking on a third-grade level or
so.

I'm not arguing with this, actually. I just think that the whole major
concept is so unreal that I would be surprised if the minor (or major, for
that matter) details were correct. My point is not that Lego shouldn't get
the accurate facts, but that we shouldn't be surprised that they don't. This
is the company who has pictures of Antarctic vehicles (with "Antarctic"
written on their sides, no less!) in the Arctic set instructions.

Kevin