 General / 22426
Re: Nuke Boston (was Re: Resolved: Tall SUVs should not be...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:21:15 GMT

This thread was happily ensconsed in .debate, where it belongs.
I'm not sure why SRC pointed it back to .general again. I didn't
notice that, and I apologise that my (immediately prior to this)
reply to him didn't correctly point it back to just .debate... sullying
the placid .general waters with a riposte meant for the stormy
sea of .debate alone. Sorry about that.

(“Back to .general again”? – It was never there that I’m aware.)
I sent a copy to .general since that was the best group I could
find to share Frank’s great nuke joke.  I figured that any follow up
would be to the same .off-topic.debate group that it was in reply to.
I should have realized it would branch and explicitly set the RFT,
which I have done this time, now that I've explained.  The sullying
is entirely my fault – I await my penance instructions.   :-)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:
The argument advanced by some that there is a clear and present
danger so strong that we have to ban SUVs a priori isn't supportable...

" a priori " ???

Sorry, that Canadian education must have been letting you down:

It did, but when I checked my dictionary, I found “priori” isn’t there.
(If a_priori is one word, why is it written as two words?)  And lest
you think me too disadvantaged, should not ensconsed, apologise, and
inadvertant be ensconced, apologize, and inadvertent?    8-)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Joslin writes:

Why, if these are good ideas, is it necessary for there to be regulation?

I know this idea rankles your Libertarian side, Lar, but easily 80% of
the US needs "good ideas" to be regulated for them, because they wouldn't
understand consensual logic and working together if it bit them on the...

Exactly – Common sense unfortunately isn’t so common.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:
we'll drive on the right side of the road, that red lights mean stop,
that you have to pass certain standards to operate the motor vehicle
on public property, that insurance is required, that all vehicles meet
certain safety standards, (like having the same bumper height...) etc.

Why, if these are good ideas, is it necessary for there to be regulation?

If you'd add onto this a policy of full disclosure, I think I'd
agree here.  My concern is that there could easily be a practice of
rug-sweeping, under which companies do whatever they feel like doing...
And, while we're discussing the contents of hot dogs, let's not
overlook rodent hairs and hog anus!

Good point – even WITH all the regulations we have problems, but eweh!

SRC
(Who’s glad he had fresh Salmon caught by a friend for lunch.)