 General / 18099
Re: Languages of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 10:57:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

You are right, we are using latin alphabet right now (with the addition
of some letters -ü, ç, ö, and two others that I can't represent here-
and exclusive of q, w and x) since 1920's.

Look at the 1985 Middle East catalog again:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1985/c85me/c85me-02.html

Here you can see three columns of texts. The one on the right is in
Arabic, the middle one is in English, and the one on the left is in
Turkish.

You can also see the other letters that I can't type here (g with upper
thing, s with a dot below, dotless small i and capital i with dot)

As I already mentioned, these catalogs are from TLC directly, so the
text is very tasteless and has some typing errors, too ("i" at the end
of "çocuklari" must be dotless, for example).

I have 1985 and 1986 catalogs both the same way (printed in a
tri-language style) and all the catalogs since 1997 are all printed only
in Turkish. I don't know when the change from tri-language to
Turkish-only catalogs occurred, because, 1985-1997 period is my
darkages.

You can also see the Turkish catalogs here in Brickshelf:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1997/c97tr/index.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1998/c98tr/index.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1998/c98tr-2/index.html

I've already scanned and send 1999 (two types) and 2000 catalogs to
brickshelf, but they are not online right now.

Selçuk

sheree rosenkrantz wrote:

Selçuk Göre <ssgore@superonline.com> wrote in message

Add Turkish catalogs (published since 1984 or 1985) to the list. They
are originally from TLC itself, since they always have a "Turkish as a
second language" type of style. The usual warning messages on the boxes
are started to be seen in Turkish too.

Selçuk

I don't have any idea of what Turkish looks like.  What alphabet is used?
Brickshelf Catalogue scans from 1984(cme) and 1985(cme)  show what I thought
to be Arabic.  Are these the catalogues that you are referring or are you
speaking of different ones?   Maybe, I'm completely wrong.
Could I be mistaking  Turkish for Arabic?  I thought Turkish used a
different alphabet than Arabic now.   Please, could you/would you clarify
any of this for me?
thanks,
sheree