 General / 16142
Re: I have these sets but can't find them in the set listings. Help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:14:25 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

<snip>

This 1x3x4 door is IMHO one of the ugliest LEGO pieces ever produced
(although I also don't care much for the common 1x4x5 (4 lights) door of
the last 20 years).

I *love* the 1x3x4 doors...they were so much better and more realistic
than the common 1x4x5 doors of today.  Some of the reasons I like these
doors:

integrated door frames...no unsightly gaps
ease of opening...I find it really hard to swing open the 1x4x5 of today
and often have to get a minifig tool and go through a window to pull
the door out
variety of colors...yes, a lot of red...but there was also white, blue,
yellow *and* you could mix and match the door frame color & the door.
glass in the door...I hate the empty space in the panes of modern doors.

I really wish they had gone to using a bigger version of this door in
the late '70s...

although it looks like we have a nice door in the McDonald's set...this
is the only set I have with a new frame/door combo...is it common?

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu

Good luck trying to find that the origins of that classic door.  There are
a lot of sets that were produced up to 1973 using the classic door, and few
up until 1977 when they were finally discontinued in favor of larger doors.

Gary Istok