 General / 15902
Re: I have these sets but can't find them in the set listings. Help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:31:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok wrote:

Keith Johnson wrote:

I recently discovered two sets in my grandmother's attic. Basic
construction sets 125 and 145, obviously from the early 70's. They
are 222 pcs and 413 pcs respectively. The only thing I have found
is a 1973 UK catalog that shows some similar sets, but obviously
have different set numbers.The sets are in excellent condition. I
was wondering if anyone can enlighten me a little more, or at
least prop me up and tell me that this is really great find. Thank
You.

OK, I have Basic Set 125.  It is exactly that..... a basic set.
There are no specialty pieces (besides some older bricks, windows &
doors).  If memory serves me correctly, this is a set that has the 4
brick high doors that were used in conjunction with the minifig
stiffs back in the mid-70's.  Old basic sets do not command the
premium prices of specialized or model sets, unfortunately.  These
sets are from around 1975-76.  If you look at some of the model
builder sets from that era (#390-96), you will see premium prices
(#396 sells for up to $350 in mint).  But the basic sets don't
command anywhere near this price (even in mint).

IIRC, basic set 125 was what I received for my 11th birthday in 1975
and was my first LEGO set.  I stored the pieces in the box up until I
stupidly decided, shortly after discovering RTL in 1995 but before
learning that boxes are important, that I didn't need the box.  I threw
away the box for that set, along with the boxes for the 410 payloader
and 420 police car.  Argh!  I did keep the catalogs and instructions,
though.  (At least I still have the boxes for my Matchbox cars of the
same era.  At the time, I had no reason to save them, but I did anyway.
Go figure.)

Anyway, I seem to remember that 125 had 233 pieces, not 222.  It had a
?x?x1 green baseplate, windows, doors, and two pairs of wheels with
black tires.  Up until I got that set, all of the LEGO I had played
with (at a friend's house) had gray wheels.  There were no minifigs,
stiff or otherwise, in this set, and the doors were not minifig scale.
The doors are 1x3x? (maybe 4 high as Gary says).

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX