 General / 15796
  Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(URL) they haven't added the pics they took :-/ -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (24 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

Tom Stangl posted about the newspaper article... I love this quote from it! (...) Kevin (24 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) "``A lot of kids get rid of their Legos when they're ^^^^^ teenagers. But a friend got me back into them and I'm really having a good time,'' said Stangl" The pedant in me hopes you were misquoted. 8-) And when are those pics going up? (24 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) This is great! Good publicity never hurts! Tom, how did you get into this article? I mean, how did the newspaper find you? Although I'm not into mindstorms so much, this is interesting - I didn't realize that mindstorms helped TLC recover it's (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

I wish Lego would stop blaming the stuff stated here for their loss... Last week, Lego chief executive Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen -- grandson of the company's founder -- said 1999 ``began in insecurity and nervousness but ended with progress and belief (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) I also got an email from the reporter, but didn't have time to respond. Perhaps she tracked down mindstorms users in the Bay Area. (...) Gee, if Mindstorms was so sucessful with adults, shouldn't they release Mindstorms Jr. for the kids? (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) "follow the clinking ABS...follow follow follow FOLLOW....~\o" Great quoto-op, Tom, way to go! I hope they don't put their foot down on your LEGO playing during office hours...;) best LFB (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) The reporter read Lugnet for a while, noticed I posted a lot, then saw the pics of my cube I have on my work site ;-) I sure wish I knew where the pics ended up from the photo shoot, though - they only took about 10-15, and when I dumped them (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) and note also this quote from the aforementioned article: (...) A 300 percent increase is not inconsequential. If that single fact is true, we adult fans of lego ARE the lego market!!! I want to know that this increase in sales is going to (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) ^^^...^^^ ^^^...^^^ ^^^...^^^ (...) Note the sub-market. --Todd (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote in message <38BF7407.4FEA600F@vfaq.com>... (...) I was sure you were going to say that the local Lego retailers sent her your way. Rose (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) But KKK credits TLC's amazing turn-around in 1999 to Mindstorms and Star Wars. Adults being responsible for 3/4 of the purchases in one of the two wunderkind lines is definitely worth noting. And I'm willing to bet that adults make up a larger (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) I'm with Steve on this one. What difference is it that its a sub-market when its one of the more successful ones? And I don't care who says different, AFOL hold the purse strings too! The buck "starts" here... Is dogfood marketed to dogs or to (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

Nah, I don't buy much locally, and have never met the local reps - most of my buying is deep discount through the web. (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

I tell you what, they recognize me when I got into Toy's R Us. People say to me, "Your the Lego guy, huh?" Places like Target will never recognize you and most places Tom and I would go into, we clean out or buy nothing at all (I'm guessing it is (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

Hey Richard, I think Todd only tried to point out that the 300 percent increase was not affecting the whole company, only the Mindstorms-sub-market. This simply means that adults had a large influence on these products, not on all sets. But as a (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) Or maybe what LEGO doesn't realize is that whatever normal theme sales are, AFOL's are a more significant percentage of it than they assume... (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)