 General / 15888
Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:51:47 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.general, Tamyra Teed writes:

Lego Mindstorms Vice President Linda Dalton, who works with master builders
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

at the company's colorful Novato, Calif., headquarters, said adult buyers
boosted sales 300 percent last year.

A 300 percent increase is not inconsequential.  If that single fact is true,
we adult fans of lego ARE the lego market!!!  [...]

Note the sub-market.

But KKK credits TLC's amazing turn-around in 1999 to Mindstorms and Star
Wars.

Adults being responsible for 3/4 of the purchases in one of the two
wunderkind lines is definitely worth noting.

And I'm willing to bet that adults make up a larger proportion of Star
Wars buyers than the average LEGO line.  I also expect that,
unfortunately, a lot of adults buying Star Wars LEGO are more Star Wars
collector-speculators (as opposed to Those Who Love The Brick).

Thought I've never previously thunked:  TLC producing sets marketed
toward the adult collector market would probably make a lot of AFOLs
happy.  In order to push the nostalgia button, TLC would make the sets
more similar to older sets than current sets.  And to push the "wow,
cool!" button, TLC would need to make the sets/models as well-designed
as possible.

The downside to marketing-for-adult-collectors is that prices would go
up.  But, if the piece-counts go up as well, it may be worth it.

Steve "am I babbling?" Bliss