 General / 14188
Re: Pixelego Viewer available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:29:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti writes:
Very cool applet Eric!

Very odd too, as I was JUST thinking to myself last night how cool it would
be to have a program that would do just this exact thing!  (I was thinking
along the lines of scanning in a photo of someone and having the program
spit out the parameters so that I could make a "portrait" of them out of
LEGO)

Same here, though I was inspired by the portraits in "The Ultimate Lego Book".
One thing that's interesting about those pictures is that they're done in three
colors (white, black, beige) as opposed to using the full brick palette.  Also,
groups of plates are "bricked" (to coin a term) as appropriate, but the bricks
themselves are also overlapped as to make the portrait sturdy, more like a brick
wall.  TLG's designers appear to following a similar kind of "pixelating"
process, by laying grid paper over drawings or photos and shading the grid
appropriately.

Eric, if you get a chance, you might want to investigate some kind of dithering
threshold, or perhaps some kind of post-pixelation cleanup rules.  Hmmm...
(Secretly I'm bummed 'cause I didn't do this first. :-)

- Mike