 General / 14135
Re: A Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 02:42:48 GMT

John Neal wrote in message <388D5218.8F74F228@uswest.net>...

Cliff Olson wrote:

As a professional observer, I have noticed something. There seems to be a
large segment of the LUG that collect MISB, un-opened sets, with the • intention
of keeping them this way. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, just
genuinely curious as to why?

As someone who has always lived by the creedo that an "unplayed lego" is • an
"unhappy lego", an MISB sets I have collected always get opened. Am I • missing
out on some greater understanding about the world of legos?

Well, there will  always be those who collect to collect.  But beyond them,
buying and selling MISB is a way of guaranteeing condition of product.  And • there
are those who buy a lot of discounted sets and sell them MISB to fund their
habit, or part them out to either get pieces they want or make money off of • an
auction to fund their habit.  There are only a handful of people who try • and make
money off of it.  And if I think about it, a job dealing with LEGO day in • and out
isn't all bad;-)  Rest assured, the overwhelming majority of folk here • collect
LEGO for the purpose of play:-)

Follow up to .general

I'm also curious as to how Cliff got his perception? I haven't really seen
anyone on Lugnet looking to buy MISB sets to keep them that way, but maybe
I've missed something.

Frank