 General / 13147
Re: Conversation at TRU overheard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 23:12:06 GMT

Mookie <Mookie1@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Basically, do all of you out there with Kids pick the sets by the age
range on the box for them???

I don't consider the age range on the box much.  I sometimes think that toy
companies are playing a game of putting high ages on the boxes so that parents
will think that their kids are geniuses when the play with something labeled 7
to 10 when the kid is 4, and therefore feel well disposed towards that toy
brand.

I did once buy a large fire station set for my son when he was 4 that had
directions that were well beyond him.  I put the directions away for a while.
He got the cool pieces to play with and later built it to the directions.  That
way he got very used to making his own designs.  I've come across kids who only
build what's on the directions.  Like the kid who sold me the technic suitcase
with a few pieces in it at a yard sale.  He'd made the helicopter in the
directions and he considered the pieces left extra.

Cindy