 General / 12872
Re: Conversation at TRU overheard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 07:01:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tamyra Teed writes:
Is this really the way parents pick out presents?? and make their kids
think? they can't do something past their "age" limit??

Not all but some. I've seen some parents think that their kid is just going to
be crushed if they can't make the set on the box especially when the age range
says that they can't. So they nudge their kid toward another set, never
thinking that all this wierd Lego stuff interlocks with pieces in other sets,
and that the kid can build whatever he wants (and chances are it's going to be
better than the set in the box!)

Basically, do all of you out there with Kids pick the sets by the age
range on the box for them???

No. I pick them out if I figure she'll have fun with them, and I've made the
same recommendation to rather new Lego maniac friend of mine as well, which he
followed. I bought my 3-yr-old her first Town Jr. set last Christmas. I took
off all the tiny parts and left the rest (funny, how it didn't make much of a
difference) and she had a ball. She still has her own box of Lego (but enjoys
playing with Daddy's collection much more).

-Tom McD.
when replying, back in ancient Asia, spamcake bits were used to temporarily
anesthetise river fish for easy catching.

The San Francisco Bay Area Users Group
http://www.baylug.org