 General / 12882
Re: Conversation at TRU overheard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 12:08:49 GMT

Mookie wrote in message <386C4D25.44310EA7@worldnet.att.net>...
I was standing in TRU today... and there's a woman with her 2 kids, a
boy just about to turn 7 and a girl probably 10 or 11.. The boy had some
money to spend and wanted to get some Lego, He was looking over the
shelf.. and pulling out sets he thought he might like.. and the sister
and mother kept pointing out the age range on the sets. At one point the
mother said you're about to turn 7 so I suppose you could get a 7+ set.

I had a similar experience at Zany-Brainy just before  Christmas although it
was with a grandmother buying a present for one of her grandchildren (who
was not with her).  Her grandson was 11 and apparently liked LEGO alot as it
was the only thing on his Christmas list.  I recommended the 5561 or the
8480 (which was on sale at the time).  She ended up buying the 5561 for him.

Is this really the way parents pick out presents?? and make their kids
think? they can't do something past their "age" limit??

My Ex had 3 kids, and I NEVER went by the age on the box when I got the
older one lego, granted he was a bright child, though still... I never
tried to stunt his experience with new things I at least let him try. If
he needed help I'd help him, Or could we be looking at a parent that
doesn't do hands on stuff with her kids here?

Basically, do all of you out there with Kids pick the sets by the age
range on the box for them???

For my own son, I don't look at the age on the box but the complexity and
size of the model.  My son is four (soon to be five) and his skills have
improved dramatically over the last few months.  He is able to complete
reasonably complicated models with little or no assistance.

About a month ago I was working at home and he wanted to build something in
my office (he knows I have a stash of stuff under my desk).  I had a 6444
Outback Airstrip (http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6444) that I had
picked up at KB Toys so I gave that to him.  He wanted me to help but I told
him he could do it himself as I had to finish what I was doing.  It took him
two building sessions (we had to leave mid-way through which was a bit of a
problem as he didn't want to stop) but he built it on his own.  Yesterday he
came to work with me and built a 6445 Emergency Evac
(http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6445-1).

The biggest problem he has right now is he is a little impatient  in that he
wants to play with the models right away, sometimes before completing a
whole set.  This was true yesterday with the 6445 - after he built the
truck, he wanted to play with it so he asked me to build the little trailer
that goes with it.

So, net-net, when I buy for him I typically look at the size of the model
not the age on the box.  He  is pretty good for 100-150 pieces typically.
We'll see how the Artic sets go - he has seen them and really wants them.  I
plan on getting him the 6573 Artic Expedition
(http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6573) for his birthday in a few
weeks.  I know he will be able to build this one, but the crawler tracks are
a must have for him!

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh