 General / 10939
Re: Silver bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:01:14 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

In lugnet.general, David Schilling writes:
[snip]
Ever since I bought my first anniversary bucket I've wondered what WAS it the
anniversary of?  1998-25 = 1973.

It was the 25th anniversary for Lego USA.  Prior to then, Lego was made in the
USA by Samsonite.

It is likely that there may be gold bricks available in the near future, but
they are not likely to have a silver castle set.  Castle is part of the Lego
System.  Technic is its own system and would be the only one that would have
the chance of a silver anniversary, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  If you
really want them silver, get some chrome spray paint.

Mike Poindexter

Yes, Mike is correct.  1973 was the year that TLG took over USA LEGO production,
and Enfield became the LEGO USA Headquarters.  Prior to that it was in Colorado
(home of Samsonite), and I can't remember the city (not Denver).

LEGO first appeared in 1961 in the USA through a licensing agreement with
Samsonite.  I find it strange that they ignored the 1961 date.  2001 will mark the
40th anniversary of LEGO in the USA.  I wonder if TLC is planning anything.  I'm
working on putting on a "40 Years of LEGO in America" display at a Detroit area
museum in that year, with sets representing all decades (even the 1950's), and
include Samsonite as well as TLG sets.

Gary Istok