 Gaming / 1378
Re: A national (global?) gaming-themed LUG!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:55:47 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
I think the first step is to settle on a name.  So I guess in addition to a
call for interest, this is a call for names.  What would we be called?

Sounds like a great idea.  Although I will not be attending Gen Con this
year, I would be happy to be a part of the proposed organization.

GLUG - Gaming LEGO User Group
GWiL - Gamers With LEGO
WoLG - World LEGO Gamers
GAL - Games And LEGO
GLUE - Game/LEGO Unified Experience

I guess I like the first and last, but neither seem inspired.  Let's hear some
better ideas...

The last is neat; the first is the defacto standard these days.  I like
World LEGO Gamers, but not the acronym it forms.

ILGO - International LEGO Gaming Organzition (follows the form of ILTCO)
GWB - Gamers with Bricks

Some more name ideas...

LGC - Lego Gamers Club (like LTC, perhaps it would be a more general term)

LOGIC - Lego Object Gamers International Club

GULP - Gamers Using Lego Plastic

ILGA - International Lego Gamer Association

Of these, I like LOGIC the best (especially if the term LGC becomes accepted
for general use to describe any sub-community), but I am not sure about the
O word.  My first instinct was "Organized" but then it makes it sound like
it is sanctioned by TLC.  ...Only?  ...Onslaught?

That last makes me wonder if we want to avoid LEGO, given the reaction of
the con folks to you; on the other hand, there's lots of precidence in the
community (both communities, actually) for including the trademark of the
medium in the acronym. (LUG and LTC, obviously; also Warhammer, Battletech
and similar get used a lot in the names of gamer groups)  <shrug>

Interesting question.  It seems that TLC is accepting of their trademark
being used in organizational acronyms (LUGNET, LUGs, LTCs, etc.).  As long
as we give credit and disclaimers when the full title is spelled out,
hopefully we'd be as okay as those groups (although I am not a lawyer).

Cheers,
-GM Hendo