 Gaming / 1377
Re: A national (global?) gaming-themed LUG!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:05:57 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
Hi all,

Springing from the discussion about this summer's Gen Con on lugnet.fun.gaming,
several people have expressed interest in a non-regional gaming-with-LEGO
organization.

The initial reason we want to form this group is to have a unified body with
which to organize gaming events at this next Gen Con.  But discussion groups
and a place to plan other events would be nifty in general too.  It's looking
like we're going to have 36+ hours of gaming events this summer in Indy, so
maybe other largeish events can be coordinated too.

I think the first step is to settle on a name.  So I guess in addition to a
call for interest, this is a call for names.  What would we be called?

GLUG - Gaming LEGO User Group
GWiL - Gamers With LEGO
WoLG - World LEGO Gamers
GAL - Games And LEGO
GLUE - Game/LEGO Unified Experience

I guess I like the first and last, but neither seem inspired.  Let's hear some
better ideas...

The last is neat; the first is the defacto standard these days.  I like
World LEGO Gamers, but not the acronym it forms.

ILGO - International LEGO Gaming Organzition (follows the form of ILTCO)
GWB - Gamers with Bricks

That last makes me wonder if we want to avoid LEGO, given the reaction of
the con folks to you; on the other hand, there's lots of precidence in the
community (both communities, actually) for including the trademark of the
medium in the acronym. (LUG and LTC, obviously; also Warhammer, Battletech
and similar get used a lot in the names of gamer groups)  <shrug>

James