 Games / LEGO Media / LEGO Creator / 19
Re: Sweetening LEGO Creator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games.lego.creator
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:00:43 GMT

In lugnet.games.lego.creator, Eric Kingsley writes:
First of all why was loc.us.mn.msp on the origional distribution?  Bizarre.
(Is that where General Mills is based or something?)

General Mills is based in Minneapolis, which just bought most
Minneapolis-based Pillsbury, owned by London-based Diaego, the part they
didn't buy was Miami-based Burger King.

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman writes:
Picture this:

You're walking down the cereal aisle at the supermarket and suddenly, out the
corner of your eye, you see boxes of cereal with little images of LEGO pieces!
You look closer and -- it's LEGO Creator!  On a CD-ROM!  Bundled with Cocoa
Puffs and Lucky Charms cereals for four bucks.

Box scans:

  http://news.lugnet.com/games/lego/creator/cereal

What a bizarre world we live in, eh?

Bizarre for sure but I think this goes right to the quality of the software.

The software comes with some internet software stuff, so what most probably
happened is that the internet company paid LEGO Media for the rights to copy
and distribute the program. LEGO Creator was one of the top selling computer
games in 1998, and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, also part of the
promotion, is one of America's most popular, longest-running titles.

Maybe LEGO has so many CD's laying around they had to through them in cereal
boxes to get rid of them.  Being one that has tried LEGO Creator I can say that
it (Putting on rose colored slippers) isn't very good.  The part selection
stinks and the interface is poor.  I can't even see kids having fun with this
one.  Juniorizing LEGO sets is one thing, juniorizing software is another.
Kids are smart and they know when someone isn't giving them enough respect.

I didn't find anything at www.generalmills.com or www.lego.com about this
co-promotion -- apparently there are other software titles as well.  Maybe
TLC is contracting out co-marketing to a third party.

The Cocoa Puffs are yummy!  I haven't tried out LEGO Creator yet.  I'm plenty
happy with LDraw, so it might sit for a while.  :-)

My guess is that most of these will end up in the trash.

Anyone else seen these around?  Anyone know if it's a U.S.-only promotion?

BTW, the same supermarket (one of the Star Market stores in Cambridge,
Massachusetts) also had a whole display stand full of ThrowBots.

Thats also a bit bizarre.  I know kids LOVE ThrowBots but I personally can
barely stand them.  Its a money maker so I am sure they will stay around in one
form or another but I personally wish ThrowBots would go away.  To violent,
to Boy oriented, to far away from System.  (Granted Technic is getting to far
way from System too but thats another debate all together).

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/