 FAQ / 263
Re: Linking between FAQ items (Was: [LDraw FAQ] Who wrote LDraw?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 17:03:21 GMT

Jeremy:

Sproaticus wrote:

[...]

From my end, I can guarantee that all FAQ items (1) have unique file names.
This is the key thing, to be able to find a specific file by its name, in
any subdirectory.

OK. Will you take care of keeping a list of used entry
names?

So, to make a HREF to "#whatsitz" in file "flarn.en.html" (2), you could do
the anchor like this:

  <A HREF=".../flarn.en.html#whatsitz">another FAQ item</A>

Skip the ".en.html#whatsitz".

* Fixed language codes (".en") will give us unneccessary
   problems when translating the FAQ.
* Todd will generate the documents on-the-fly so ".html"
   may be a problem (and we don't need it for the
   ldraw.org site).
* The entries should be small enough that we won't need
   addressing within the pages ("#whatsitz").

The ".../" (3) preceeding the file name will be a token to the slurper
script to find the file and resolve the HREF to a proper address (whether in
the same file or in another file far, far away), and write the correct
address to the output text.

Good idea!

2.  Is it "flarn.en.html" or "flarn.html.en"?  (4)

Just "flarn" (the other two are too specific for our purpose).

3.  Or some other token; we just need to agree on it.

".../" is fine.

4.  If my browser says my language is "en-US", and the Apache server
    doesn't have "goondog.en-US.html", will it pull "goondog.en.html"?

Apparently it will. Try these two:

   http://www.ldraw.org/www_admin/test-1
   http://www.ldraw.org/www_admin/test-2

There is only a "en" edition of the former, whereas there
are both "en" and "en-US" editions of the latter.

Play well,

Jacob

      --  E-mail:        sparre@cats.nbi.dk         --
      --  Web...:  <URL:http://www.ldraw.org/FAQ/>  --