 FAQ / 258
Re: Linking between FAQ items (Was: [LDraw FAQ] Who wrote LDraw?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 16:34:36 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
<Code><A Href="http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dev">lugnet.cad.dev</A></Code>
(see <A Href="#question-9">section 9</A>
Whoops.  This won't work in the current FAQ format, but we need its
capability.
Jeremy, what are the antecedent of the words "this" and "its" in your
sentence above?  The general idea of referring via "see ..." to another
question, or the "#xxx" anchors?

"this" refers to using URLS to point to other FAQ items.

"its" as in "its capability" refers to the essential capability to use URLs
to point to other FAQ items.

I hope there never ever* is a need for any "#xxx" anchors in this multi-FAQ,
because hey're good for small things, but above a certain size, they're
IMHO as evil as frames in terms of bookmarking, link coloring, and crawlers.
* Except where only absolutely necessary, like for example a single page
containing dozens of entries in a small lexicon of jargon & slang.

I'm not sure about never ever (1) but it'd still be nice to point to other
items in the FAQ.

And I'm in total agreement about frames.  Yecchk.  >:-P

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  "#xxx" anchors serve a good purpose, even for pointing to items halfway
through another file.  For example, providing a back-link to a region in a
table of contents, or referring to a specific word within a glossary.

May the Force be with y'all.