 FAQ / 264
Re: Linking between FAQ items (Was: [LDraw FAQ] Who wrote LDraw?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 17:11:59 GMT

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Sproaticus wrote:
From my end, I can guarantee that all FAQ items (1) have unique file names.
This is the key thing, to be able to find a specific file by its name, in
any subdirectory.
OK. Will you take care of keeping a list of used entry
names?

Already done.  Actually, this is already being done, albeit indirectly.
I've been giving the FAQ items longish and semi-informative filenames; e.g.
"number_bricks_sf_to_nyc.en.faq".  This significantly reduces the odds of
getting a duplicate filename.  From now on, when I add FAQ items, I'll also
do a duplicate filename check just to be certain.

* Fixed language codes (".en") will give us unneccessary
   problems when translating the FAQ.
* Todd will generate the documents on-the-fly so ".html"
   may be a problem (and we don't need it for the
   ldraw.org site).

Whoops, good points.  Noted and hopefully remembered.  :-,

* The entries should be small enough that we won't need
   addressing within the pages ("#whatsitz").

I'm not so sure.  See my remarks on this (1).

4.  If my browser says my language is "en-US", and the Apache server
    doesn't have "goondog.en-US.html", will it pull "goondog.en.html"?
Apparently it will. Try these two:
   http://www.ldraw.org/www_admin/test-1
   http://www.ldraw.org/www_admin/test-2
There is only a "en" edition of the former, whereas there
are both "en" and "en-US" editions of the latter.

Wow, that is so cool.  I'm guessing that this means we won't need to
translate "en-US" into "en" or vice-versa.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.faq:258

May the Force be with y'all.