 FAQ / 254
Re: Linking between FAQ items (Was: [LDraw FAQ] Who wrote LDraw?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 16:21:55 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:
We need to be able to solve this without using duplicate files.
Plus, this action would break if the FAQ were slurped into one big file.

Okay, I got it.

From my end, I can guarantee that all FAQ items (1) have unique file names.
This is the key thing, to be able to find a specific file by its name, in
any subdirectory.

So, to make a HREF to "#whatsitz" in file "flarn.en.html" (2), you could do
the anchor like this:

  <A HREF=".../flarn.en.html#whatsitz">another FAQ item</A>

The ".../" (3) preceeding the file name will be a token to the slurper
script to find the file and resolve the HREF to a proper address (whether in
the same file or in another file far, far away), and write the correct
address to the output text.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Except possibly for some automatically-generated items, such as ng
charters; but even then, this isn't set in stone.

2.  Is it "flarn.en.html" or "flarn.html.en"?  (4)

3.  Or some other token; we just need to agree on it.

4.  If my browser says my language is "en-US", and the Apache server doesn't
have "goondog.en-US.html", will it pull "goondog.en.html"?

May the Force be with y'all.