 FAQ / 257
Re: Linking between FAQ items (Was: [LDraw FAQ] Who wrote LDraw?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 17:38:18 GMT

In lugnet.faq, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:
(see <A Href="#question-9">section 9</A>

Whoops.  This won't work in the current FAQ format, but we need its
capability.

Good you caught it. There is more of the same.

Can we assume that when we have a raw FAQ entry file named
"some_entry.en.faq" with the location header

   Location: /category/group/,/other/group2/

the FAQ web site will contain files named

   category/group/some_entry.en.html   and
   other/group2/some_entry.en.html

with the text from "some_entry.en.faq"?

No, because it's unlikely that the website will contain any files with the
.html extension -- they'll definitely all be generated on-the-fly (dunno
what the URLs will look like yet) with transparent caching of generated
content.

Then we can use relative anchors like

   <A Href="../group/some_entry">some entry</A>

The web server (if it is named Apache) will automatically
get the HTML file in the appropriate language, so we don't
have to include the language code (".en") and the document
type (".html") in the anchor.

Yup, lugnet.com is running Apache.  I'm not sure what the URLs will need to
look like for the FAQ entries to habitate in the new hierarchical URL scheme
of things.  Might use mod_rewrite with some kind of nice & pretty URL syntax
or might use '?' directly...  Unlikely in any case that they'll have the
.html extension, but that won't prevent language negotiation.

--Todd